The Happy Thread

Duncy H

So yeah I'm happy.

got fed up with my mums old classical vinyl just sitting around doing nothing, so bought a turntable off the bay, an old technics thing which seems decent enough quality (records aren't in the best shape now anyway).

plugged it into a usb dac thingy and plugged that into the Mac and joy - Beethoven on loud. But hey the turntable can't stay next to the Mac (no space) or even next to the amp (even less space). So had a quick google - found that I could use the trusty old rpi to grab the audio, encode to MP3 at a decent bitrate and broadcast the stream. After a sd card failure and some head scratching, followed by a new power supply and a little more fiddling, the stream is working!

added the stream to iTunes and boom! Beethoven can be streamed via AirPlay to all rooms in the house. A totally over the top and inappropriate way to play vinyl but it keeps the house neat and tidy.

I am really enjoying playing them although they all need cleaning, so if anyone has any advice on a cheap and easy clean method that would be great.

• Like 3

Already got some, was looping them over the branches on some of the trees but they are a bit old and rotten so weren't filling me with confidence. 

Also gonna put a swing on there for the small people when I'm not using it, though knowing my daughter she'll never be off it! 

Not sure where to post this but the Happy Thread will do because it definitely made me laugh.

I'm currently sleeping on the sofa because my room mate snores really bad and the housing situation in Whistler is messed up this summer so I am happy to not be homeless. Anyway... Last night I forgot to shut the sliding door that goes out to our balcony. Whilst I was sleeping a Raccoon came in, walked straight past me, searched through our bins, opened my food cupboard and went straight for my boxes of Cliff Bars. I did kinda half wake up because of a bang in the night (which must have been the bins being pulled over onto the floor) but thought it was one of my room mates, the little b*****d stole 7 bars! One of the boxes was in my cupboard with a few bars missing, the other was on the balcony, the wrappers were on the balcony and some were down on the floor in the bushes. We live on the 3rd floor and the only way it will have got up here was to climb the pillars. It's pretty dark outside but if I can be bothered I might setup a camera and some food to film them another night :P 

13321288_10154254178623896_338354360_o.jpg

13313630_10154254128928896_1662715138_o.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

^^^^

Who is this guy!!?!?!??!!!?!? 

Saw your recent news on Facebook the other day. Congratulations mate, hope your alright and everything's good.

Haha, thanks man.

Things are all good here, it's good fun. I've got the riding bug again so I've been snooping around for some 24" videos. Ali's vlog is great!

9 hours ago, forteh said:

Roger Wilkins cider is phenomenal, proper cider, a quid a pint and so, so nice. If you're ever in somerset around Cheddar, go get some :)

I don't drink cider these days, but 4 years ago I lived on the stuff. 

I always used to like Sam's Medium - that's a proper cider that was stocked at a place called Middle Farm, near where I used to live in Hastings. They had a huge barn and it was called "The national collection", they got small farms from across the UK to send barrels of cider, there was hundreds of different ones and you could take a shot glass around to try them all and buy them in whatever bottle size you wanted, fresh from the barrel.

I used to go over there and buy a load of different stuff, it was all around £2 a pint (I guess they have mark up and shipping to consider).

Now I live in Bristol I should start drinking cider again - there's a million little farms around here that produce proper cider.

havent had chance to TF much since i've moved onto night shift but i'm loving things; new office is way more supportive and because i'm on nights its way easier to avoid the beer and get in control of my diet and training; i'm getting nice and lean again, i hope to be back down to 90kg before july. i'm enjoying 26 and managing some of the lines that i'd put on my to do list when i moved down to kingston. generally quite happy with my ability to stunt; putting the work in on sidehops and i'm getting them over bar height to both sides on good days.

i've had my djc tinder phase and i've met someone who i'd rather not kick out the next day, it's early days but i'm pretty optimistic. my ex is still being as lame as when i left her so i'm pleased for myself that i made the right call on that, we're still civil before that sounds like a horrific dis. 

On 5/31/2016 at 0:52 AM, haydon_peter said:

Crashed today on an 'XC' trail and ended up with 5 stitches in my elbow and a possible broken bone in my hand/wrist, got to wear a splint for a week then get another xray to see if it's a break or not. Damn. Time to enjoy the non bike things things that Whistler has to offer.

Quoted from Angry Thread.

I'm happy because I went back to the clinic 1 week later and they gave me the all clear to ride my bike! I have to leave the stitches in for a few days then go back to get them removed or just cut them out myself. I got lucky.

• Like 2

Following the debacle with my suspension forks that got ruined and the subsequent design or replacement components that I've been looking to have machined in order to restore the forks to glory....

Got a quote for the two components from a machinist we use at work, came in at just shy of 300 quid :o

Needless to say that is unfortunately far more than it's worth to ressurect the cartridge so I resigned myself to using the forks as nothing more than spare chassis parts.  Mentioned it to our purchasing manager (who also rides mountainbikes) who promptly got on the phone, pointed out that we have just sent them 50k of orders in the last month and persuaded them to machine the bits as a favour :D

I shall be sending a nice bottle of something to the machinist for his troubles, just got to grab some shims from k-tech and will have a proper shim stack compression damper in my forks :)

• Like 4