The Happy Thread

Duncy H

Adding to the forks situation, k-tech are very kindly sending me a bunch of shims so I can tune the compression damper.  Does this mean that I'm now sponsored by them?

Ought to get a couple of k-tech stickers to chuck on the bike really :)

• Like 4

Sunk 4 pints in the Piccadily Taphouse after a safety brief in Manchester this afternoon with a couple of the managers. Really feel like going at it tonight now! 

* Angry thread content \/

(though the wife is feeling tired and rough so probably won't happen) 

• Like 3

Oh and to further the compression damper redesign, I've just realised a method by which I can have both an adjustable low speed and high speed damper circuit on the forks rather than trying to control both circuits with a single shim stack.

So my options are: -

Combined low speed and high speed compression damping handled by a single crossover shim stack.  Advantages of this are that the overall compression range can be altered externally albeit low speed would require an internal shim change to adjust it.

or

Seperate low speed compression port orifice with the shim stack handling purely high speed compression duties.  Advantages of this is that the low speed compression can be altered quickly and easily whilst high speed would need a tear down to alter the shims.

Any clever suspension people? :D

edit: look what arrived this morning!

tmp_12811-DSC_0807-1467249933.JPG

Edited by forteh

Updated cartridge is now assembled, ready to put back into the chassis :)

Guessed at the shim stack, trying a simple crossover with 15-14-8-12-11-10-8 diameter shims, all 0.15mm thick apart from the 8mm ones at 0.2mm thick.

Left it with the shim stack controlling both high and low speed compression, only riding it will tell me if it's crap or not. Not a massive issue to alter the stack now though.

Super happy with how it's gone together :D

tmp_32379-DSC_08111137228327.JPG

tmp_32379-DSC_0813743440440.JPG

tmp_32379-DSC_08141163730912.JPG

tmp_32379-DSC_0815-2029467392.JPG

Well the initial shim stack test was a resounding failure:D

Almost zero compression damping and altering the stack preload made no difference so I think it was far too stiff and bleeding back past the rebound and compression glide rings.

Reverting back to the poppet valve for now to check that still works OK (no reason why it shouldn't) and will play with shim stacks once I've got a threaded sleeve glued onto the cartridge to save having to glue the bung in every time.

Onwards and upwards :)

• Like 1

Passed the on site shunter test at work today, after passing my class 2 HGV a couple of weeks ago. Getting to play in a class 1 tomorrow, then Thursday and Friday, and all next week I'm in the shunter on my own all week doing the job for real. It's weird reversing and moving stuff round that's so big. Got my class 1 lessons and test 1st week in July. Life changing stuff going on, glad I did the career change

• Like 1

moved to the new house, went well

There is a decent internet here already, that they had not cancelled which should last a few days until our new subscription starts

I feel like home already which is nice too

1st day of my Fitness Instructor course is complete, only 2 more this week and another 2 next week. Best bit is getting full use of the Trafford Park David Lloyd gym which is massive and extremely well kitted out but then again the monthly membership is £90!