The Car Thread

MadManMike

51 minutes ago, CurtisRider said:

I got fed up with my Porsche leaking and puddles forming after replacing all the seals so I just drilled a hole in the floor, sorted :P

I've taken the floor bungs out of a few of my MK2s for the same reason :P

19 hours ago, SamKidney said:

Best car you've had yet :P

EGs are cool. 

Its redeeming features - there's so little engine in the bay that I was able to just get in with it to bypass the matrix, and it has an adorable little bell to let me know I'm in reverse, JDM as fuk m8.

It really has nothing else going for it, it's built like shit :lol:

• Like 1

My dad had the same problem with a Lotus Excel, I have fond memories of going through a car wash and being sat in the back seats which filled with water and gave you a soggy arse!

I take the piss out of that car a lot, but I actually loved it.

I finally got round to having a look at my Porsche (924), it has been off the road since the summer as it suddenly lost power and wouldn't run properly. A quick twizzle of the distributor got it running but it once timed properly it wouldn't start again. I thought it was perhaps the timing belt that had slipped so I replaced it and made sure the timing was correct but I still had the same problem ton start it. I got it running today and noticed a ticking noise that got louder and louder so i whipped off the rocker cover to find these bits of metal that look like they were once useful....

Here they are:

2016-11-23%2013.07.32_zpsx5awapcg.jpg

And the mirror points to where I found them:

2016-11-23%2013.07.46_zpsqzxakw2n.jpg

What has actually broken? I can't see where they came from. What will I need to do to fix it? The MOT was supposed to be Friday but it doesn't look likely that I'll be making that...

Don't think it's a big end shell myself, the surface is too well polished for it to have been sat against the face of the rod. 

If one of the cam lobes has been flattened and it was a ticking noise (not a "growl/knock" associated with a bottom end problem) I think you could be right with suggesting its a cam follower/bucket. 

Are the 924 engines a boxer engine or configured otherwise? 

Edited by SamKidney

So i needed to pick up gash in the tsunami car last night, So thought id pop down to the local petrol station and hoover the water out my car, didnt say it was a wet and dry pay per minute hoover, turns out it didnt cope well with sucking up water... But the majority of water is out the 182 until it rains again. Going to take the carpets out and drill a hole i think.

For the guys who've done it before, any issues when driving in the rain? or did you bung it up?

13 minutes ago, TROYston said:

Going to take the carpets out and drill a hole i think.

For the guys who've done it before, any issues when driving in the rain? or did you bung it up?

Why remove the carpets? Drill through the carpet, it covers it remarkably well! And you'll get more water getting in from above than below (Y) 

3 hours ago, TROYston said:

So i needed to pick up gash in the tsunami car last night, So thought id pop down to the local petrol station and hoover the water out my car, didnt say it was a wet and dry pay per minute hoover, turns out it didnt cope well with sucking up water... But the majority of water is out the 182 until it rains again. Going to take the carpets out and drill a hole i think.

It's clearly leaking from somewhere. Find it and don't bodge it? Jesus 

• Like 1