The Angry Thread.

Blake

My poor, poor damper cartridge :(

Dremel + carbide burr = lots of aluminium and brass filings! The cartridge is now out and will be off to windwave tomorrow to see if they can match something up.

I think the lowers are salvageable, only a small knick in the footnut sealing face and a bit of epoxy resin should solve that one.

I think I might present the bill for the replacement cartridge to the spark eroders assuming windwave can put something together.

tmp_17759-DSC_0129-789719179.JPG

tmp_17759-DSC_012854342612.JPG

tmp_17759-DSC_0127422388683.JPG

tmp_17759-DSC_01261652617747.JPG

Ah the mess of the cartridge was me with the dremel. The spark erosion they did was lovely and neat, just eroded through completely the wrong component. Now I'm not 100% familiar with spark erosion but I do know it's very accurate and machining the outside of an m8 nut off should not cause any issues!

On 18 March 2016 at 5:44 PM, forteh said:

Small claims would cost more than I paid for the forks (ok I got a bargain at 80 quid but that's not the point) and the hassle isn't worth it.  Looking into marz 55s that can be had pretty cheap but they're over a pound heavier than the 44s, the extra beef really not needed for the riding I do.  I'm not using fox and the revs are the closest analogous forks to the 44s, a bit lighter as well but then much longer service intervals.  I want open bath forks dammit :D

I run 55r's, can't fault them at all. The stiffness is something else, absolutely zero flex. That just absorb everything and I think the damping is miles better than rock shox, much better feel and one click really does make a difference

Well if windwave can't sort a replacement cartridge then there's a set of open bath 55r for cheap just up the road in Derby.

How do you get on with the lack of adjustable compression damping? Much brake dive and bobbing when climbing?

Of to get my ear punched, travel all the way to London and I had left my ID at home, all the way back again to pick it up. Total of over 4 hours on the train! 

Also to top it off left my Snow Wolf with a my 13 heaven 9 hells rda. Had some amazing alien claptons! My favourite set up, oh yeah and 100ml of juice!  

16 minutes ago, bike_dummie said:

Also to top it off left my Snow Wolf with a my 13 heaven 9 hells rda. Had some amazing alien claptons! My favourite set up, oh yeah and 100ml of juice!  

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means.

• Like 8

It's just the worst, I once left my Dragon95 with switched polarity coppermag Hades RFOs which was a bitch because of the semi transic half shaft orbiter it had AND (coincidentally) 100ml of juice!

Is there nobody closer than 2 hours away that could have done you a dermal punch?! Did you get it done in the end? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark W said:

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means.

Sorry it was a vape, sad I know but it was my favourite :'(

59 minutes ago, Jolfa said:

Is there nobody closer than 2 hours away that could have done you a dermal punch?! Did you get it done in the end? 

My local guy was booked solid for the weekend and he is the only trusted piercer local. Plus any excuse to go to camden! Those nasty market  buritos are the Bee's knees! 

Yeah got it done, it didn't hurt to much at all more uncomfortable than anything went for 5mm in the end. It's furking awesome! 

Edited by bike_dummie

So much for International Airport security when this happened. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35869254

With all due respect, what you've done there is added your usual bullshit onto a serious issue. The explosion was in the departures area, as mentioned in the link you posted, and way before any actual security happens. Airports are completely public places up until those security areas which lead to 'air side'. 

This isn't "so much for International Airport security", this is "so much for human beings respecting other human beings". 

• Like 6

Exactly.

The next step is to have armed guards on the door, searching every single person that enters. What happens next? Mr Terrorist blows up outside instead of inside.

Security isn't quite as simple as you make out.

These events anger me greatly, but we need to remain rational, rather than go all Trump and start building walls.

But if you wanted my summary: People are shit. Not everyone individually, but collectively, we're shit.

So many innocent people caught up in this bullshit :(

My damper cartridge couldn't be reassembled with donor parts from another unit, forks are effectively scrapped :(

I'm going to dissect the rc3 cartridge and see if I cant resurrect it in some fashion, going to involve completely rebuilding parts of the compression damper.

In the mean time I've picked up a pair of 2014 55 micro sta forks for a good price but I'm still gutted that the 44s are dead.

Realistically they're not gonna do anything. Even if I had the money spare to take it to small claims there's no evidence of what has happened and it's my word against theirs.

If I can get the rc3 to work again I can renovate the 44s and either sell them or the 55s. Either way I'll keep them in stock until such point that I can use them again or if worst comes to worst sell them for spares.

Imagine having that happen, but exchange "guy I know" with "well established mountain bike company".  It's been a month now, PayPal dispute's been escalated to a claim and they're still chatting bullshit about how they've apparently sent my stuff out.  We're on the third time they've said "Yeah, it was out of stock before but it's in now so we'll send it out for you.  It'll be there tomorrow."  They've now promised me a free mudguard with it to make up for them being f**king shit, but their website shows that mudguard is out of stock.  Think they're just stringing it out until the Dispute time frame is over or something...

On 19 March 2016 at 8:37 PM, forteh said:

Well if windwave can't sort a replacement cartridge then there's a set of open bath 55r for cheap just up the road in Derby.

How do you get on with the lack of adjustable compression damping? Much brake dive and bobbing when climbing?

No mate not really, I like how they are setup out of the factory to be fair, feels decent and supple. Just needed a bit of air preload in as I'm a bit of a unit nowadays 

4 hours ago, bing said:

No mate not really, I like how they are setup out of the factory to be fair, feels decent and supple. Just needed a bit of air preload in as I'm a bit of a unit nowadays 

That's good to hear, I used the 44s with the compression damping mostly open, as long as you stay seated and pedal smoothly (how the intense climbs best) when climbing it's not an issue with bob.

In other news I've picked up a set of 55 micro sta and I'm attempting to rebuild the rc3 cartridge with some custom componets to introduce a true shim stack on the compression damping, I'll add redundancy into the design so I can revert back to the original marzocchi design should the shim stack turn out to be pap :)

Some complete and utter C-Unit has been on my property and chucked my Land Rover wheels over the fence to the adjacent field. 2nd time this year. 1st time I thought it was a prank, now I'm assuming someone's trying to nick them. Time to get the CCTV working again...