The Angry Thread.

Blake

They just wouldn't give us any rates relief, we asked for any kind of assistance whatsoever and they gave us nothing, we were making just enough to pay rent, bills and rates and barely a penny more, were it not for the rates we probably could have made a go of it -_-

Actually, thinking back, they tried to charge a bunch of my mates who share another workshop just for hobby stuff, business rates. They would not back down, I think that one went to court in the end when they refused to pay on the grounds that they weren't even running a business.

Safe to say Erewash Borough council are a pack of twats.

Edited by Jolfa

• 2 weeks later...

A job became available that I really wanted that was for a great little shop, I filled 99% of the criteria and it would be perfect for me. The communication was good then I had an interview and I just didn’t get a very good vibe. I think I did everything best as I could on my part but I think essentially there is a lot of strong competition and applicants so I’m not confident at all that I’m going to get it. 

I’ve really struggled to find good work since I returned to the U.K. having been messed around by a few companies and some bad luck. I hope this isn’t another to add to the list.

This whole Liam Neeson race row thing...

I feel like so many people are missing the point, all these headlines asking if what he said was racist are asking the wrong question. Going out looking to kill a black man based on the actions of one is almost defintely racist, from my point of view anyway, but admitting him confessing this and judging his past self for it is the key part.  I'd be lying if I've never had a 'racist' thought - a few weeks ago I saw some McDonalds employee's have a knife shoved up to their necks because they weren't making a cheese burger fast enough and I'll admit that when I see someone who looks and acts like the man that did that some of those thoughts come across my mind. I don't think I, or anyone else, should be shamed for admitting to having had those thoughts when it's in the realms of realising that it's flawed logic. If somoene acts on those stupid thoughts or they start seeping into that person's behaviour then by all means let's condemn that person. Unless thoughts and actions are inseperable now...

Obviously going out angry and looking to kill someone based on their skin is wrong but the reaction to it makes me feel like society's moving in a direction where mistakes and lapses in judgement aren't allowed - no second chances, no time for reflection or growing, you just are your mistakes. It reminds me a lot of James Gunn being fired by Disney as a director because of controvertial ten year old tweets, is it just not possible that someone might have matured and even regretted their own actions? Or do people just need to be eternally punished for some bad jokes?  

And now I've just seen 'can Liam Neeson redeem himself' up on TV. Is that not what he's already done by recognising that 40 years ago he was acting out of prejudice? 

Edited by bikeperson45
  • Like 4

Think part of it is probably the turn of phrase he used to describe it now.  To put it mildly they were pretty poorly chosen words, especially in light of the current 'climate' for things like that.

That said, the current shit in the US with that Governor in black face or the KKK outfit - he couldn't really be handling it much worse than he is, and his white friends saying that they weren't offended by it aren't really helping either.

It pokes my fire that he was acting on the only descriptive word his friend had of the rapist. Like if the interview went 'I went out with a kosh to kill the first Irish b*****d that kicked up' nothing would be made of it other then a firey temper.

It was pretty foolish to say something like that in his position and climate, but he's not acting based on race, he's acting on the only description he had of the attacker.

True, but expressing it as "I went out looking for any black b*****d" is not necessarily the most nuanced way of doing it, and for good or ill people will read into that choice of phrase.  Had that interview been done the week after it had happened it would have made more sense, but it just seems weird to do it now for a variety of reasons.  Ultimately using race as a descriptor has more impact simply because using it in a negative connotation is a lot more historically loaded.

Don't get me wrong - the needle has definitely swung way too far in the way that people are looking to be offended and then destroy the lives of those they perceive as being 'wrong'.  He just didn't help himself at all in this instance.

Turns out there is already an established garage/mechanic on the site I was looking to lease a building in and the site owner, understandably I guess, is reluctant to let another start up in effort to prevent any friction between him and current tennant. 

Was a 5 minute bike ride from home/was on the way home from “work” too. 

Bugger :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Went out this evening because any old excuse to 'test' the ride - front tyre now tubeless on rigid mtb commuter. I practice trials on it quite a bit, but this evening, I didn't take tools so saddle was at full pedalling height and I wonder why I'm shit at trials. But even at my best I'm still a bit shit. Watched so many videos for inspiration over the past few months seeing people hop up ledges higher than I can even jump without a bike is just pissing me off. Homeless bloke under a concrete carpark round corner was doing a far better rant than this about dogshit while I practiced.

Edited by marg26

• 1 month later...

Me and my dad were in a car accident this morning, he was driving but there was nothing he could have done to avoid it, just a 17 year old who decided giving way isn't necessary when a car is coming. We're both pretty fine, got checked over, stiff necks and that's pretty much it but the thing that really riled me up is the builder who drove past in his van and did the ol' wanker hand motion at me and the guy pushing the girls car out of the road. He didn't know everything was fine, just abusing people who've had the bajesus knocked out of them for no reason other than it slowed his journey down by a minute. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if my motorbikes original log book, v5c got lost in the post on the way to me, the seller didn't send it after all or if it's simply taking ages.. :(

Been waiting for him to finally send it (along with more parts that he found) for months and he told me he'd send the docs seperately. Should have been posted on the 26th.

Nothing usually takes this long..

Edited by Topsy

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2019 at 1:42 PM, Topsy said:

Not sure if my motorbikes original log book, v5c got lost in the post on the way to me, the seller didn't send it after all or if it's simply taking ages.. :(

Been waiting for him to finally send it (along with more parts that he found) for months and he told me he'd send the docs seperately. Should have been posted on the 26th.

Nothing usually takes this long..

.. Just found out that nothings even been sent yet.

What do you reckon are the chances that I accidentally got sent the wrong frame and there are no papers to this one and thus it's not being sent?

There's no use losing my patience but I am.

This happened on the way home last night, thankfully I had come down off the hills and it didn't happen when I was away in the middle of no where. But think it's the final nail in the coffin for the bike, just to much needing fixing. Back to the pushbike for a while till I can sort a replacement out. 

IMG_20190423_211857.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I don't want to sound too harsh, but there can't be much going on upstairs if you're willing to leave all of that in a van outside a Holiday Inn.

The bikes appear to have been in bags, so wouldn't have been a problem taking them inside either.

Obviously feel bad for him, but that was next level silly.

5 hours ago, MadManMike said:

The bikes appear to have been in bags, so wouldn't have been a problem taking them inside either.

The bags were in the van but I think were built up and complete in the back. Saw the footage on his Facebook of the thieves riding the bikes away making me think they were ready to go.