The Happy Thread

Duncy H

Went and got f**ked up with my Foundation tutor last night, we've put down a deposit on a unit. He's gonna sell retro/ vintage shit from it, i'm gonna man it during the week and set up a studio in there, try to get a small consultancy going, maybe flog some artwork and that. 15 minutes from home, out towards the countryside a bit and next to a nice river with a big f**k off weir on it. Stoked.

• Like 3

Went and got f**ked up with my Foundation tutor last night, we've put down a deposit on a unit. He's gonna sell retro/ vintage shit from it, i'm gonna man it during the week and set up a studio in there, try to get a small consultancy going, maybe flog some artwork and that. 15 minutes from home, out towards the countryside a bit and next to a nice river with a big f**k off weir on it. Stoked.

Duuuuude, sounds right up your street! Hope you (metaphorically) smash it :)

Cleaned and lubed the pistons in my brakes, both of them feel f**king awesome now after being relatively dogshit for a little while (front brake pistons deciding to stick around fully extended once you let go of the lever: not the one). Really simple thing to do, wish I'd done it sooner!

• Like 1

Cleaned and lubed the pistons in my brakes, both of them feel f**king awesome now after being relatively dogshit for a little while (front brake pistons deciding to stick around fully extended once you let go of the lever: not the one). Really simple thing to do, wish I'd done it sooner!

What method did you use to lube it? Just wd40 or something into them? Could do with sorting mine, but I have been putting it off for...well... about 2 years.

What method did you use to lube it? Just wd40 or something into them? Could do with sorting mine, but I have been putting it off for...well... about 2 years.

Never use wd40 to lubricate stuff, it has practically zero lubrication capabilities ;)

I use a lightweight silicone oil to lube mine (actually old shock oil from my RC car racing days) and it works pretty well, you can also use a spot of brake fluid but then you run the risk of contaminating your pads if you're not careful.

Never use wd40 to lubricate stuff, it has practically zero lubrication capabilities ;)

I use a lightweight silicone oil to lube mine (actually old shock oil from my RC car racing days) and it works pretty well, you can also use a spot of brake fluid but then you run the risk of contaminating your pads if you're not careful.

Ha, learn something new every day.

Yeah, I used some TF2 type stuff. I got all Hope maintenance video on that shit and used some cotton buds to clean the pistons off. To get the lube on there more accurately I sprayed a load of spray lube into a little plastic cap from a deodorant bottle, then dipped the end of the cotton bud in there. It mean I could get a reasonable amount on, and get it all around the pistons cleanly. With the newer Hope calipers they've got some really fiddly bits to get it on so having that accuracy is pretty handy rather than just dousing the whole caliper in it and hoping for the best. Once the pistons were all lubed up I slid them back into the caliper then wiped the outside faces down with some tissue stuff. Pads back in, set the caliper up centrally then pump the lever a few times to get the pads in the right place and you're good to go.

I'd done it to my rear brake first as that was suffering pretty badly from one piston sticking out (running the normal 2-piston Trial Zone caliper). The front one was being more of a handful though - it's a 4-piston caliper, and one piston on each side was sticking out a bit so it meant that the pads were wearing at an angle, and occasionally just sticking on. Now they're all cleaned and lubed it's amazing how much it's changed the lever feel as much as anything. They feel really smooth/progressive again now whereas before it just felt notchy and weird.

Took about 5mins max to do per brake so it's not a big job at all (Y)

Plumbed up the gears on my latest build er, well it's after midnight so yesterday now I guess. Anyway, plumbed in the 3x9 gears using an KMC x8.93 chain, a 8spd chain on a 9spd block - something every mtb/cycling forum and link on google said was not possible and would not work.

Happy as f**k because I can categorically say that this is bollocks as it works absolutely perfectly! To me this yet again proves that a vast majority of MTBers are intellectual sheep who simply follow what the manufacturers and media tell them.

Feeling smug as f**k :smartass::smartass::smartass:

list of jobs for tomorrow er, later, off the top of the head is something like; true the rear wheel as it's a light tensioned fresh build, plumb in the rear canti, (yes, cantis front n rear! Going retro!) find a nut and bolt fort seat clamp (going ghetto!) and have a stab at fixing what I think is a total POS tube I threw in the tyre about 5/6 years ago,

Ought to have ridden it round the block by this time tomorrow * all being equal.

f**ks sake EDIT: * I meant later.

Edited by CC12345678910

Definitely have a new job, even if it's just the department over. I knew they'd had 17 internal applicants because people are scared of 'restructuring' so there's been a few bitchy comments along the lines of the twenty year old with a years experience getting the job over some of the others but I know I can do the job so don't even care. And it's my bank account the money's going into :P

Although the new departments on the verge of a civil war over the opening of a window but at least I'll no longer be learning about woman's period flows and their consistencies.

Averaging 18-20mph (on good days) on the commute to work and back on 42:14 fixed.

nice to see numbers improving and my lungs are feeling TIP TOP

being pushed into a managerish role at work in the next few months as the business grows, pay hasn't been discussed but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯