The Happy Thread

Duncy H

9 hours ago, forteh said:

Congrats again, so are you taking your own wedding photos? :)

The DJ'ing and photography will be a sticking point, for sure!

An old friend from back home got me into photography, I'm hoping to have him do it, though the photos will be quite arty rather than conventional wedding style. I don't mind that though.

Sensible people get into pc gaming, that way you can laud it over the console players because your machine is more powerful and upgradable and customisable and games are cheap and peripherals are better and vr is better and you can even use it for word and excel!

edit: I've managed to resist the last two steam sales some how, think I'm mentally offsetting paying full price for cyberpunk2077, not that I regret doing so because it's rather awesome (118 hours played, currently working through my second playthrough - a pure melee stealth build), but because the tightfist in me is saying that I shouldn't fritter money away on games that I don't have the time to play immediately and will be on sale again soon enough :)

Edited by forteh

On 11/02/2021 at 10:26 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I'm happy I never really got into consoles/gaming. I have a PSone and a PS2 that I rarely play and I'm quite happy not feeling the need to spend £500 on a new console and £60 a game thereafter!

All I’ll say is that consoles usually have a shelf life of 7 or 8 years and that you can get a huge amount of mileage with some games.

For me the cost of the console, games, online play is no more than about £120 per year. I pay the same for Apple Music.

But if you’re not really into it, you’re not really into it. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen Morris said:

All I’ll say is that consoles usually have a shelf life of 7 or 8 years and that you can get a huge amount of mileage with some games.

For me the cost of the console, games, online play is no more than about £120 per year. I pay the same for Apple Music.

But if you’re not really into it, you’re not really into it. :)

i recently got google stadia which seems like good middle ground. They had a deal on a few weeks ago, i don't remember the exact details but i spent 60 quid got, cyberpunk, google home 4k and the stadia controller. That included the first month of stadia pro which is about £10. Pro has some decent game titles available and other games are often on sale. While I'm off work furloughed it seems good value, i will probably ditch the pro subscription once I'm back at work and have less time to play. 

• Like 1

I (re-)found/finally tried Bricklinks "Lego Studio" last night. Today I realised that you can load all parts of a selected set into it and start building. It's not what I actually had planned on doing, I actually wanted to build a little landscape for a tensegrity thingy, but now I've spent about three hours assembling some sets I always wanted as a kid and it's made me very happy. :D

Also made me realise how dumbed down the instructions are now a days...

• Like 1

Just picked up a slim wheelset for my fatbike for $100 @ 75% off. This means I can pull the 4" wheels off and throw on these for the summer and use it as a gravel bike. It also means I can sell my flat bar road bike (which is way to small for me and needs upgrading) and get something new in the future.

• Like 1

So after going into winter with my bees in a pretty bad way (re-queened in September so colony was barely half what it should have been and I didn't fit any insulation until late November) I've just checked on them and they're still alive! 

I didn't think they'd survive the cold snap with such small numbers but with a mild day today there are a few undertaker bee's bringing the dead out of the hive and some foragers out and about. 

Absolute result! 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...