The Happy Thread

Duncy H

On 8/25/2022 at 8:46 PM, Tom Booth said:

Embrace the quiet :lol:

I took it for granted.

We got home at 2pm today, after a few days of delays - mostly minor stuff, but frustrating. I'm now doing the work of a whole team of midwives and honestly it's a bit much. I'm struggling today.

He's slightly underweight, so feeding is constant. Bottle, breast and express. We're lucky if he goes down for 10 minutes, it's nuts.

I feel for Sheryl, she's had this the whole week - I've been lucky and evicted from hospital at 8pm, now I see what she's been through and it's total chaos.

Don't worry its not permanent, just keep your head down and get through this bit of adjustment for everyone and you'll reap the rewards in no time.

The first time they go down for a 30 minute nap or whatever is just a huge victory, there's loads of that feeling coming.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:46 PM, Tom Booth said:

Ray is nearly 1 now and it's awesome, hes nearly walking so its exciting, proper excited for it.

f**k no, when they walk, they get into places they couldn't get before; be on your guard :D

edit: once they get to 18 months and strong enough for a shotgun seat then it's bloody amazing!

p5pb23247165.jpg

23 hours ago, MadManMike said:

I took it for granted.

We got home at 2pm today, after a few days of delays - mostly minor stuff, but frustrating. I'm now doing the work of a whole team of midwives and honestly it's a bit much. I'm struggling today.

He's slightly underweight, so feeding is constant. Bottle, breast and express. We're lucky if he goes down for 10 minutes, it's nuts.

I feel for Sheryl, she's had this the whole week - I've been lucky and evicted from hospital at 8pm, now I see what she's been through and it's total chaos.

Mums are the real troopers, us dads have it real easy.  For both Persphone and Aneurin if I could have shared the feeding I would have, however if that were the case I may have also become distracted by the norks I'd just grown for the purpose! :)

Edited by forteh
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, forteh said:

f**k no, when they walk, they get into places they couldn't get before; be on your guard :D

edit: once they get to 18 months and strong enough for a shotgun seat then it's bloody amazing!

Mums are the real troopers, us dads have it real easy.  For both Persphone and Aneurin if I could have shared the feeding I would have, however if that were the case I may have also become distracted by the norks I'd just grown for the purpose! :)

I'm not sure I agree with "real easy", but I definitely agree that mums have the worst of it!

I've always fancied a pair of norks, but even more so now - for practical reasons of course.

Those shotgun seats look cool, but I'd have to get my bike off the garage wall, service it and actually ride it... Maybe one day :laugh:

13 hours ago, forteh said:

f**k no, when they walk, they get into places they couldn't get before

To be honest he's more annoying now he can crawl, he's finding gaps that he can go in then get stuck in, because his shoulders won't pass through, atleast if he's walking he's the same width top to bottom and can turn around easier :lol:

It does get easier Mike, just think when you bugger off back to work and see the chaos for about 2 hours maximum a day while Sheryl's on maternity leave. I feel bad when I get home and get frustrated with Ray and I only see him from about 5.30-7.30 in an evening haha.

• Haha 1

Aneurin was walking up and down stairs at 8 months, soon discovered that stair gates were a simple obstacle to overcome!  Figured out how to open them but generally lacked the strength to open them every time so was easier to just climb over the top or wriggle underneath onto the first step :D

Works cyclescheme wins again, after bagging a pair of Pro 4 hubs for around £150 (can't remember exactly) I've just bit the bullet and ordered some forks for my Big Dog. 

Ideally wanted some Revelations but there was no stock at the store we use so gone with a set of Domains which after a price match and tax adjustment work out at £220!

8 hours ago, Tom Booth said:

To be honest he's more annoying now he can crawl, he's finding gaps that he can go in then get stuck in, because his shoulders won't pass through, atleast if he's walking he's the same width top to bottom and can turn around easier :lol:

It does get easier Mike, just think when you bugger off back to work and see the chaos for about 2 hours maximum a day while Sheryl's on maternity leave. I feel bad when I get home and get frustrated with Ray and I only see him from about 5.30-7.30 in an evening haha.

I work from home, so it'll be a lot more than 2 hours - I'll push really hard for customer visits I think :laugh:

Today has been easier, I think we're getting into the swing of it more now, plus I managed a few more hours sleep which helped a lot.

Haha no escaping it! It's a massive adjustment and there's nothing that really braces you it.

Sleeps the big killer, or lack of it. We've been massively fortunate with Ray, fr.about 10 weeks he's slept through the night pretty solidly, he had a regression at 6 months which was torture after being so lucky with sleep. It seems awful at the time, but really it's just like a 2 week knock back :lol:

Our friends had a baby 2 weeks after us, they've had pretty rough time with sleep as their daughters never been that much of a sleeper, 7hour is the best they've managed so far but it's played in their favour when she had abit of a regression, it wasn't as big of a knock for them in a weird way.

Glad you're getting into the swing of it though dude, it doesn't feel like it but it all comes together pretty quickly

On 8/30/2022 at 2:13 PM, isitafox said:

Works cyclescheme wins again, after bagging a pair of Pro 4 hubs for around £150 (can't remember exactly) I've just bit the bullet and ordered some forks for my Big Dog. 

Ideally wanted some Revelations but there was no stock at the store we use so gone with a set of Domains which after a price match and tax adjustment work out at £220!

Do/can you use it for components only? I thought it had to be complete bikes...

On 8/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, MadManMike said:

I'm not sure I agree with "real easy", but I definitely agree that mums have the worst of it!

I've always fancied a pair of norks, but even more so now - for practical reasons of course.

Those shotgun seats look cool, but I'd have to get my bike off the garage wall, service it and actually ride it... Maybe one day :laugh:

you can get a pair that you can fill with expressed milk or powder jobs and join in... 

we went 50/50 fairly early on with feeding with expressed milk. Means you can share the waking nights a bit more. By all accounts its hit and miss on whether or not they take to a bottle, but we were lucky that it worked well.

I was even luckier that neither of ours would even entertain a bottle :laugh:

Once the nighttime poos calmed down, I was getting decent sleep before too long - given the sleep deprivation is the most brutal part of it all, I was thankful. There's definitely a line somewhere where they go from being largely inanimate to being more on the go and things get much trickier, but then you keep going and they turn into proper little people and it's all kinds of awesome.

Ella's 4 tomorrow (which is a pretty mad concept in itself) and she's a proper little winner when she's not having a diva moment. Oscar's nearly 2 and a half, and wants to get stuck into everything.

I didn't really think much of it before when people would say shit like "it'll fly past, enjoy while they're small", but it's so feckin' true. Both of them being small small is a proper blur, so I'm thankful we did the whole "21st century millennial parent" thing of taking loads of photos as we have a Google album of the best ones for family to look at (rather than spamming FB etc) so often go through that when they're being a bit tricky.

5 hours ago, manuel said:

you can get a pair that you can fill with expressed milk or powder jobs and join in... 

LOL seriously?

I mean it does make sense, but I'd feel so weird wearing a fake pair of tits for feeding :laugh:

On 8/30/2022 at 8:51 PM, Tom Booth said:

Haha no escaping it! It's a massive adjustment and there's nothing that really braces you it.

Sleeps the big killer, or lack of it. We've been massively fortunate with Ray, fr.about 10 weeks he's slept through the night pretty solidly, he had a regression at 6 months which was torture after being so lucky with sleep. It seems awful at the time, but really it's just like a 2 week knock back :lol:

Our friends had a baby 2 weeks after us, they've had pretty rough time with sleep as their daughters never been that much of a sleeper, 7hour is the best they've managed so far but it's played in their favour when she had abit of a regression, it wasn't as big of a knock for them in a weird way.

Glad you're getting into the swing of it though dude, it doesn't feel like it but it all comes together pretty quickly

Yeah we're definitely getting into the swing of it and learning little tricks that help (Or should I go social media and call them "life hacks"?).

His record so far is 4 hours, but to be fair a newborn shouldn't be having long sleeps anyway, so I'm not sure 4 hours was a particularly good thing for him.

1 hour ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I was even luckier that neither of ours would even entertain a bottle :laugh:

Once the nighttime poos calmed down, I was getting decent sleep before too long - given the sleep deprivation is the most brutal part of it all, I was thankful. There's definitely a line somewhere where they go from being largely inanimate to being more on the go and things get much trickier, but then you keep going and they turn into proper little people and it's all kinds of awesome.

Ella's 4 tomorrow (which is a pretty mad concept in itself) and she's a proper little winner when she's not having a diva moment. Oscar's nearly 2 and a half, and wants to get stuck into everything.

I didn't really think much of it before when people would say shit like "it'll fly past, enjoy while they're small", but it's so feckin' true. Both of them being small small is a proper blur, so I'm thankful we did the whole "21st century millennial parent" thing of taking loads of photos as we have a Google album of the best ones for family to look at (rather than spamming FB etc) so often go through that when they're being a bit tricky.

Yeah we're getting loads of photos too, several a day. I'm going to start filming him with my dslr too, so we have nice quality video to look back on in years to come.

People always said it's the hardest thing you'll ever do but also the most rewarding - I never understood until now. It really is both of those things.

Last post I made was in a thread about houses, now I’m back to post about kids. I really am a middle-aged gentleman. 

Congrats Mike - best, most full-on, exhausting, exciting, funny thing ever! Good luck with it all! No more advice on the sleeping etc., but I do really recommend an app called One Second Every Day. You choose a photo or a 1sec clip from a video each day and it puts them together into a montage. We’ve done one for each of our boys (we stopped Wilf’s on his third birthday, Josh’s is still going) and it’s a really lovely look back on that period that, as Luke said, is such a blur. Really helps remind you what life and the kids were like. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 3:01 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Do/can you use it for components only? I thought it had to be complete bikes...

Nope, we use Cyclesolutions and you can literally order anything off their website up to £1000 per year and they'll price match everything 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Rusevelt said:

Rampage weekend hopefully

I know I 'don't' have to watch this, but, alongside the majority of big hits being shown on instagram before the event, it really grinds my gears that so much of the riders lines is shown before the 'big-show', that I don't really feel the need to watch the 'big-show' and it removes the allure of it.

Is this just me? 

• Like 2

Nah, I get what you're saying. They're definitely holding back in practise and they aren't doing top-to-bottoms, but it does remove some of the mystique of it a bit. I see why Red Bull want to put coverage out now to get people hyped and ready to watch it live, but I imagine most people who are going to watch Rampage are going to watch it regardless, not because they saw Semenuk punt a massive whip in practise.

Part of the reason I don't tend to watch it live is that the live show is usually a bit stop-start-y, due to wind, crashes and stuff like that. Those holds are fair enough, but it doesn't really make for the best viewing experience. I'd always prefer to watch a World Cup live rather than watch the replay, but with Rampage it kind of feels like the replay is almost the better option as you can at least skip to the interesting stuff without having to sit through 30mins of tedious American commentator chat while they're waiting for the wind to die down.