The Angry Thread.

Blake

Is it safe to be cautious of people wanting you to pay as a gift only on paypal?

I was looking to buy some brakes but ive been burned before with leaky callipers and didn't have a leg to stand on with regards to a claim.

This is from my experience of gifting money though paypal. It seems that when you gift money it allows you to choose whether you pay the feees or they do. If you don't send it as a gift it automatically takes it out their end. So if you sent $20 they'll only actually get $19.34 or something like that.

I don't think it's a scam, I just think people ask for it to be sent as a gift so that it gives the buyer the choice on how the fee is to be deducted, and if you agreed on $20 you're more likely to pay for the fees yourself.

So yeah, figure out what the fees are and add that on if he has an issue with it, if he insists on the gift option then walk away. If you gift money and you receive nothing, paypal won't back you up at all because with the gifting option there's no requirement to have actuality sent anything.

This is also what I tell my Western Union customers who are buying things online, but they still don't realize they're getting scammed.

Definitely!  The tripod-guy I was referring to is Rich Forne - he does videos for all the biggest BMX brands (and others, e.g. Nike, Vans, etc.) whilst using that.  You can get shots pretty stable with that kind of arrangement, and depending on the editing software you use you can dial it in in post too.  I haven't used it, but I'm told that the Warp Stabiliser in the later gens of Adobe Premiere Pro are pretty good.

I use a really cheap glide pretty much just to be able to use the handle on it (a pivoted handle mounted to a bearing, so you can rotate it around the main body of the glidecam).  All I really want it for is so I can use one hand to be the stable one (holding that handle, so you can keep a solid grip the whole time), then use your other hand to fine tune it by holding lower down the shaft of it.  That's all there is to it.  My footage isn't particularly stable but it's not like it's unusable, and that's without using the Warp Stabiliser which would help make it more stable if required.

I filmed most of my first videos just using a tripod with an extendable head.  I wound the head out so there was that main section to grip with one hand, had the head of the tripod tilted up a bit so you could angle the tripod itself over more, then held onto the legs with my other hand.  Even then it wasn't too bad, certainly a huge improvement over filming completely freehand (which I never do, and will almost always look pretty shaky/bad).

Can't thank you enough for that advice. I read it before leaving for a roadtrip but didn't have time to reply. Holding the camera with one hand and a correctly angled tripod with the other made all the difference. However, only after a few days did I notice that the Warp Stabilizer crops images (duh). So part of the footage is too unstable raw or cropped too much to be used, much like this:

Another thing I noticed is how much the footage from a Hero 4 Black is sharper than that of the 7D. Need to blur it despite using 1080p25. 

edit: wow this actually embeds posts now? Could be quite useful in boosting forum stats.

Edited by Greetings

• 2 weeks later...

At my wifes, cousins, sons christening. I probably shouldn't be posting in here but it's a massive show of how much money he earns, we've come for food in a pretty non child friendly bar in Hale (rich b*****d central) where part of the 4 course meal waiters are bringing around a bit at a time consisted of plates with 3 types of steak (big plates mind) and lobsters! I've seen at least £200-250 of lobster go back to the kitchen uneaten :S. On the plus side it's a free bar (his banker workmates have been on Grey Goose vodka cocktails all aafternoon) and I've smashed two whole t bone steaks and about 6 bottles of lucky buddha lager so far. 

• Like 2

At my wifes, cousins, sons christening. I probably shouldn't be posting in here but it's a massive show of how much money he earns, we've come for food in a pretty non child friendly bar in Hale (rich b*****d central) where part of the 4 course meal waiters are bringing around a bit at a time consisted of plates with 3 types of steak (big plates mind) and lobsters! I've seen at least £200-250 of lobster go back to the kitchen uneaten :S. On the plus side it's a free bar (his banker workmates have been on Grey Goose vodka cocktails all aafternoon) and I've smashed two whole t bone steaks and about 6 bottles of lucky buddha lager so far. 

I don't really understand how someone who's just being christened can earn that much. 

• Like 5

People playing drinking games insyead of properly drinking

I miss Northern Ireland a lot.

It just weird down here

Hate drinking games, I just drink steadily throughout and a little extra when it's my turn, f**k the system yo!

• Like 1

The fact that it takes 5 seconds for Paypal to take money out of my account, but days to put a refund back in my account. I f**ked up paying for something out of my account instead of from a credit card, and now I have to sit in an unorganised overdraft for however many days it takes them to put it back. My own f**k up, but still... Infuriating.

• Like 1

The game is always rigged. I got a sim card from Vodafone and they junk messaged me about 5 times a day. I send a text to the number to cancel the messages and it said the settings would be changed within 28 days! 28 DAYS! And they're a telecoms company! I can only imagine 28 days is the maximum amount of time they're allowed to take, and of course the messages continued. So I ditched the SIM.

Paypal is a c'nt a lot of the time - thankfully new services are starting to emerge - check out Revolut, for example.

• Like 1

Not so much "angry" as "mild annoyance", but that seems to be 90% of this thread anyway.

I'm on a load of additional duties this week, including carrying out inspections on various squads at 0645 every day this week. Would much rather have an extra half hour of sleep, so crossing fingers for torrential rain in the morning so as for them to cancel the parade and give me a morning off :P