The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

I think they should, but hope they don't. Top gear won't be the same without him.

I think it's an absolutely dick move by the BBC to stop the final episodes of the series from airing though. What were they thinking? He punched a colleague so it's an internal issue, why punish the public as well?

I like Jeremy, he says what most people think but are often too scared to say as the nation is too politically correct.

He makes Top Gear, I don't care for cars at all really but I enjoy the show. I really like the cheap car challenges :)

• Like 5

Clarkson has said stuff which many others would never have got away with, and because "he's Clarkson". It doesn't wash with me - the guy is offensive and belligerent and I hate the way modified car lads swoon over him like he's their spiritual leader.

True, Top Gear has been very entertaining on occasion, but I don't think that excuses the guy's behaviour. He's had plenty of warnings before, he could've heeded them, but I guess he thinks he should persist as it's part of his own character and he knows all the Max Power reading kids would let him bum them given half a chance.

Since we're talking about Top Gear...

• Like 2

Clarkson has said stuff which many others would never have got away with, and because "he's Clarkson". It doesn't wash with me - the guy is offensive and belligerent and I hate the way modified car lads swoon over him like he's their spiritual leader.

True, Top Gear has been very entertaining on occasion, but I don't think that excuses the guy's behaviour. He's had plenty of warnings before, he could've heeded them, but I guess he thinks he should persist as it's part of his own character and he knows all the Max Power reading kids would let him bum them given half a chance.

Since we're talking about Top Gear...

I think more people should 'get away' stuff he says and does because of freedom to have opinions and express them. If enough people shared your view, the show wouldn't be the most successful that the BBC have. I've been saying for a long time that I think they should replace the whole presenting team, but then it would become an actual car show rather than an entertaining show containing cars.

I don't know where you get your evidence of modified car lads swooning over him? From what I know, which is admittedly little, most of the 'scene' rather dislike Top Gear. Does Max Power even exist anymore?

Top Gear hasn't been great in recent years, but suspending one of the reasons for its success for 'throwing' a punch (which would have been reported differently if it connected) and then cancelling shows which Adam correctly points out we've already paid for is ridiculous. What should actually happen is that the filming for Sunday should go ahead as planned today and the crowd should be encouraged to point and laugh at the old man for not being able to actually punch a producer (who I'm going to assume is in the vast majority of people who aren't great at avoiding punches).

I don't know where you get your evidence of modified car lads swooning over him? From what I know, which is admittedly little, most of the 'scene' rather dislike Top Gear. Does Max Power even exist anymore?

I believe he means the end of the spectrum that involves little boys in fast food car parks trying to get a heinz tin exhaust to 'spitz phat flamez laad' by ringing the neck of a micra/frenchbox/corsa A etc, not anything that has genuine modified car merit.

The BBC are right to suspend Clarkson and investigate the incident, throwing a punch at someone isn't acceptable in the workplace. Clarkson shouldn't be treated any differently to any other employee just because he is the presenter and the main reason for the success of the show.

Chris Harris to replace Clarkson

I'd bet against it.

But thank god for Youtube and the epic car content that exists there.

If the Top Gear team could move to youtube it would be amusing, even with a low budget. They could do and say all the non-PC things they want.

Edited by Pete.M

Anyone else hoping the BBC stick to their guns and get rid of Clarkson for good?

He's starting to piss me off a bit but TG wouldn't be the same without him. He is Top Gear.

Chris Harris is a good call but I don't think he would fit the program. And I think he's doing a greater service to petrol heads currently than he would in the TG trio.

I'm convinced we'll soon forget about this matter and Top Gear will carry on as always. It would be nice to see Clarkson a little less arrogant and more factual on the show though.

I think more people should 'get away' stuff he says and does because of freedom to have opinions and express them. If enough people shared your view, the show wouldn't be the most successful that the BBC have. I've been saying for a long time that I think they should replace the whole presenting team, but then it would become an actual car show rather than an entertaining show containing cars.

Top Gear hasn't been great in recent years, but suspending one of the reasons for its success for 'throwing' a punch (which would have been reported differently if it connected) and then cancelling shows which Adam correctly points out we've already paid for is ridiculous. What should actually happen is that the filming for Sunday should go ahead as planned today and the crowd should be encouraged to point and laugh at the old man for not being able to actually punch a producer (who I'm going to assume is in the vast majority of people who aren't great at avoiding punches).

I believe in freedom of speech, I don't believe in pig ignorance and racism. The fact that the show is the most successful the BBC has doesn't justify keeping him either. There's a wider issue of the reputation of the BBC too, which I expect is beginning to concern the executives. I couldn't give a flying f'ck about the BBC myself because I strongly disagree with the way the TV license is 'enforced'.

My evidence for the bit about the boy racers is based on people I know in the modified car scene, and they have reasonably good cars. Actually I'm probably insulting them by mentioning Max Power, and I've no idea whether or not it exists. It was mentioned for illustrative purposes only.

The BBC are right to suspend Clarkson and investigate the incident, throwing a punch at someone isn't acceptable in the workplace. Clarkson shouldn't be treated any differently to any other employee just because he is the presenter and the main reason for the success of the show.

This. If I lamped somebody at our place i'd be suspended then sacked. Simple as that. Just because of who he is doesn't mean the letter of employment law shouldn't apply

Yeah the BBC is a whole other problem, they're a corrupt organisation that scaremonger people into buying a product they don't need.

That's a totally different debate though...

Lets not forget the long list of pedos they employ ;)

even more of a reason to shun the bbc .

I still dont understand why people sit in front of a tv let alone pay for it :blink:

Its like taking a hammer to your brain and constantly smashing it for hours and hours upon end.

Edited by Dave Anscombe

I still dont understand why people sit in front of a tv let alone pay for it :blink:

Its like taking a hammer to your brain and constantly smashing it for hours and hours upon end.

No it's not, it's nothing like that at all.

Has it been confirmed he punched this guy then?

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like that Clarkson has indeed been fired unofficially. And it seems like it was much more than just a punch but a "30 second physical attack".

It's all a load of bollocks, what makes me laugh the most was the eenie meenie minie mo thing. 99% of the country would say nigger just naturally, as that was how the rhyme went, without even thinking about it. To say he was being rascist intentionally is a joke.

• Like 1

Meanwhile Radio 2 DJ Chris Evans, who has been touted as a potential replacement for Clarkson, has ruled himself out of the running.
"Not only is it not true, it's absolute nonsense," he told listeners on Wednesday morning.
"From what I've seen on Twitter and various social media, there's a 50/50 split approximately as to whether me being involved in the show is a good idea.
"In TV or radio, if you get a 50/50 love/hate reaction that usually equals massive hit. I used to work for [ratings body] Barb and knock on people's doors and this was the rule of thumb.
"However, I'm in the no camp. So regardless of whether it would be a hit, I'm voting a no for myself on that show, so that's never going happen.
"And that's the end of that."
f**k off you dick.